Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the 950 gives me this smirk of a starter relay chatter, punk. Battery is Bosch Lithium, 1.5 years old, so might be relay. Replace it, no luck. Well lets hook a bigger battery, out of my '66 should do it. Cranks up and runs, kinda slow on the cranking. so reading here that the V-Star starters are junk, I pull it and shit, pieces of magnet fall gingerly into my hands. The bike only has 2200 miles on it, but.... its a 2012..Yamaha says no help from the cavalry. New starter, same clicking. Read plenty of volts on teh battery, car battery works great. So get a new Bosch, and pooof, problems gone. (and Bosch said no thank you to customer service either) .Thanks to those that helped with the starter issue, I've read many of the V-Star's had the same issue.

·
Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Houston, Texas
33 Posts
One issue with the Vstar starters is the location. It's down low, in front of engine. prone to the tire throwing up a rock and dislodging the magnets. Also, a low battery will create a starter to chatter damaging the starter. It's a nine year old starter, pretty good life span. Appears your low, possibly bad battery assisted in the starter failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One issue with the Vstar starters is the location. It's down low, in front of engine. prone to the tire throwing up a rock and dislodging the magnets. Also, a low battery will create a starter to chatter damaging the starter. It's a nine year old starter, pretty good life span. Appears your low, possibly bad battery assisted in the starter failure.
Agreed,
And the reverse may be true as well. A crap for starter unit probably pulled the life out of barely a 2 year old lithium battery. Following on your note, is it out there on building skid plates for the V-Stars?
Jim

·
Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Houston, Texas
33 Posts
Yes, there are several, here's one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts