Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the cleats break off from light use? I was standing in shallow (5') water when a boat came through the cove and cause a bit of a wave; which by the time it reached me caused nice little rocking action. I was physically holding the cleat when the wave came through and the darn thing popped off the ski. All three rivets completely failed. Yamaha is finally replacing it under warranty, but how certain can I be the other cleat doesn't fail from bad rivets outside of warranty, and I have 2 skis, so 3 more cleats? From what I can tell, Yamaha engineers just used 3 rivets to secure the cleats to the base fiberglass. There isn't even a support bracket/bracing built into the upper hull. I called Yamaha Customer Support about this and the rep said they were not for securing the ski for storage and could not define what they were used for. My question to the group is, has anyone else had problems with the cleats falling off, breaking, failed rivets, etc.? Does anyone know what the cleats are used for if they cannot be used to secure the PWC to the dock, a tree, shore post, or anything really? To me there should be a recall for this design flaw and no communication from Yamaha about how to "properly" use the cleats they installed at the factory.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts