Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a 2018 Yamaha ex sport and I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the fuse box. I can see it from under the front steering compartment, but it seems impossible to reach. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Luke

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello. I have a 2018 Yamaha ex sport and I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the fuse box. I can see it from under the front steering compartment, but it seems impossible to reach. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Luke
Should be a rubber strap holding down the plastic cover. Pinch both sides of the cover and it will release. It’s a snug fit ( for obvious reasons) but it’ll go. Pain to get to though for sure.
Thanks for the information! I'll try to pinch both sides to release it. When I took it out this year it wouldn't fully start so I got a new battery and now it won't turn over at all even thou I have the -/+ connections on tightly. So the next step was to check the fuses =) I'm hoping that is the issue.

Thanks,
Luke

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should be a rubber strap holding down the plastic cover. Pinch both sides of the cover and it will release. It’s a snug fit ( for obvious reasons) but it’ll go. Pain to get to though for sure.
Thank you JustAWrench. I was able to unsnap the fuse cover now but I can't even get the fuses out since I can't see them to grab. If I had a long pair of needle nose pliers I might be able to pull them from the front where I pull the compartment out. I was able to take a picture with my phone... Is this the approach you would do? Also, since its total dead any thoughts on what fuse to test first?

Thanks for all your help, Luke

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well it looks from your picture as though you 50amp main fuse isn’t there? Picture is pretty blurry but it’s a bridge style fuse that’s held in place by two Philips screws. Was this removed? Did you hook your battery cables up backwards by chance when connecting them? If that were the case the 50amp would blow but yours doesn’t even appear to be in the panel?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it looks from your picture as though you 50amp main fuse isn’t there? Picture is pretty blurry but it’s a bridge style fuse that’s held in place by two Philips screws. Was this removed? Did you hook your battery cables up backwards by chance when connecting them? If that were the case the 50amp would blow but yours doesn’t even appear to be in the panel?
I believe I did initially hook.up the battery cables backwards but I didn't unscrew the 50 amp fuse. Is it possible it would fall out? Sorry for the blurry picture but I had a super hard time even taking that picture lol...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it’s in a terrible spot. I use a hand mirror and a test light to probe the tops of the fuses so you can verify if you have power to both sides of the fuse without removing it. Cause once you take it out putting it back is worse.
Thanks for the information. I'll try that before I remove it. I do have a test light but need to find a hand mirror. I just hope after all this hopefully the issue is a blown fuse. I'll let you know how it goes ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the information. I'll try that before I remove it. I do have a test light but need to find a hand mirror. I just hope after all this hopefully the issue is a blown fuse. I'll let you know how it goes ;)
Happy Halloween! I was talking to my buddy over the weekend who has worked on a lot of ATV’s. He says the way I’m explaining how the jetski failed to start is that it’s possible it’s a starter relay and not the actual fuses. Do you know if the starter relay is in the fuse box? I see several black boxes "MAIN", "ETV", and "F/P" which I believe are relays. Would one of these be the starter relay?

Also he said I should get a pair of relay and fuse pullers. He was asking if the jetski fuses are minis? I wasn’t sure… Are they minis? Also, did you have to use a relay and/or fuse pullers? Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That little “white thing” inside your fuse panel is actually a small pair of fuse pullers it just pulls out of that slot. The starter relay is (looking at your photo of the fuse panel) to the upper left corner behind the fuse panel sort of. Best thing to do is follow the positive ( red) wire coming off of your battery it will take you directly to the starter relay it’s bolted to it with an 8mm bolt . If you hooked your cables up backwards you likely nuked your 30amp. If your starter relay is bad though you’ll likely in most cases get a buzzing/ clicking sound from
It rather than nothing at all and the meter and fuel pump will still power/ prime up even if you have a bad starter relay. If you’re getting no power to anything at all start with the fuse. My money is on a blown fuse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh jeez.. that is good to know that the white thing is actually a fuse puller =) That is convenient to have it right there. I still need to find a mirror and some time to get to the fuse. Good point about the relay since I'm not hearing a click or anything. Hope you had a great Halloween. We live in Michigan and had over 800 kids from 6-8pm which is the trick or trick hours. It was fun to see everyone dress up and out enjoying Halloween.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That little “white thing” inside your fuse panel is actually a small pair of fuse pullers it just pulls out of that slot. The starter relay is (looking at your photo of the fuse panel) to the upper left corner behind the fuse panel sort of. Best thing to do is follow the positive ( red) wire coming off of your battery it will take you directly to the starter relay it’s bolted to it with an 8mm bolt . If you hooked your cables up backwards you likely nuked your 30amp. If your starter relay is bad though you’ll likely in most cases get a buzzing/ clicking sound from
It rather than nothing at all and the meter and fuel pump will still power/ prime up even if you have a bad starter relay. If you’re getting no power to anything at all start with the fuse. My money is on a blown fuse.
Another quick question... do you normally unhook the battery when your pulling fuses or doesn't it matter? My buddy said you can test the fuse while its hook up too but if I do need to pull it and put a new one it does it matter if the battery is hooked up? Thanks again for all your help. I appreciate it and I appreciate learning how to do these things myself =) My buddy said a lot of times companies make it tough to do the work yourself because they want you to bring it to them to fix so they can make more money =(

·
Registered
95 Posts
Another quick question... do you normally unhook the battery when your pulling fuses or doesn't it matter? My buddy said you can test the fuse while its hook up too but if I do need to pull it and put a new one it does it matter if the battery is hooked up? Thanks again for all your help. I appreciate it and I appreciate learning how to do these things myself =) My buddy said a lot of times companies make it tough to do the work yourself because they want you to bring it to them to fix so they can make more money =(
You can leave the battery hooked up, either way, if you had a dead short somewhere it will just blow the new fuse you installed. Let me know how you make out

·
Registered
Way too many to list....
292 Posts
Thank you JustAWrench. I was able to unsnap the fuse cover now but I can't even get the fuses out since I can't see them to grab. If I had a long pair of needle nose pliers I might be able to pull them from the front where I pull the compartment out. I was able to take a picture with my phone... Is this the approach you would do? Also, since its total dead any thoughts on what fuse to test first?

Thanks for all your help, Luke
First , check that battery is installed correctly ....,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi JustAWrench. It was the 30amp fuse! Like you suggested, I had to use a hand mirror in order to pull it out with a fuse puller. I used the spare 30amp fuse to replace the bad one. You can see in the picture that it was blown. Now it fires right up. I appreciate all your help and it felt great to fix it myself. I shouted hallelujah when it fired up =)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can leave the battery hooked up, either way, if you had a dead short somewhere it will just blow the new fuse you installed. Let me know how you make out
It was the 30amp fuse! Like you suggested, I had to use a hand mirror in order to pull it out with a fuse puller. I used the spare 30amp fuse to replace the bad one. You can see in the picture that it was blown. Now it fires right up. I appreciate all your help and it felt great to fix it myself. I shouted hallelujah when it fired up =) You are the Man for directing me in the right direction!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts