Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, hope somebody can help! I have a 2011 Zuma 125 with about 7100 miles on it. As of lately, after about 10-20 minutes of riding, the bike sputters out when idling. When I try and restart it, the starter cranks but it won't start. After a couple hours it will start back up with no problem and run for another 10-20 minutes but then dies again. The engine hasn't died while I've been moving, only when idling.

I just completed an oil change and it is still happening. I'm thinking it has something to do with my fuel pump or fuel filter maybe? Any ideas what the issue is?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
553 Posts
Hey all, hope somebody can help! I have a 2011 Zuma 125 with about 7100 miles on it. As of lately, after about 10-20 minutes of riding, the bike sputters out when idling. When I try and restart it, the starter cranks but it won't start. After a couple hours it will start back up with no problem and run for another 10-20 minutes but then dies again. The engine hasn't died while I've been moving, only when idling.

I just completed an oil change and it is still happening. I'm thinking it has something to do with my fuel pump or fuel filter maybe? Any ideas what the issue is?

Thanks!
Ya those two things would be good to check.

·
Super Moderator
553 Posts
I don't but..
The one looks to be just the pump, the other the pump and fuel gauge sender all together.
Normally if one suspects a fuel pump problem you check the fuel pressure.
I think these have a carburetor? I would suspect a dirty carb especially if the machine sits a lot like during the winter.
And also, if its a carb it needs very little pressure so the pump is not likely the problem. It sure wouldn't hurt to remove the assembly and see if it's gunked up though.
Your problem seems very odd that it only dies at idle when hot, all you can do just check things.
Does it have a manual choke? You can see how it runs with the choke on to narrow it down. If the choke is automatic somehow maybe it is not working correctly...
Have you looked at the spark plug? Seems odd that would cause the problem but it could be dirty too.
If you aren't at least mechanically inclined these things won't be easy to do.
I'm just guessing like crazy here too, I know nothing about Zumas.
Is there a Zuma forum? I would look.
oh, another thing comes to mind....oil pressure. It could be it wants to see oil pressure to run (guessing here) . If so, idle and hot will give you the lowest pressure. I'm thinking maybe the wrong oil (too low of weight rating) . Weak oil pump...low on oil....old oil....dirty oil filter....bad oil sender....that kind of thing.
Again...this is all one big guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't but..
The one looks to be just the pump, the other the pump and fuel gauge sender all together.
Normally if one suspects a fuel pump problem you check the fuel pressure.
I think these have a carburetor? I would suspect a dirty carb especially if the machine sits a lot like during the winter.
And also, if its a carb it needs very little pressure so the pump is not likely the problem. It sure wouldn't hurt to remove the assembly and see if it's gunked up though.
Your problem seems very odd that it only dies at idle when hot, all you can do just check things.
Does it have a manual choke? You can see how it runs with the choke on to narrow it down. If the choke is automatic somehow maybe it is not working correctly...
Have you looked at the spark plug? Seems odd that would cause the problem but it could be dirty too.
If you aren't at least mechanically inclined these things won't be easy to do.
I'm just guessing like crazy here too, I know nothing about Zumas.
Is there a Zuma forum? I would look.
oh, another thing comes to mind....oil pressure. It could be it wants to see oil pressure to run (guessing here) . If so, idle and hot will give you the lowest pressure. I'm thinking maybe the wrong oil (too low of weight rating) . Weak oil pump...low on oil....old oil....dirty oil filter....bad oil sender....that kind of thing.
Again...this is all one big guess.
It is fuel injected--there is no carb or choke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts