Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, hope somebody can help! I have a 2011 Zuma 125 with about 7100 miles on it. As of lately, after about 10-20 minutes of riding, the bike sputters out when idling. When I try and restart it, the starter cranks but it won't start. After a couple hours it will start back up with no problem and run for another 10-20 minutes but then dies again. The engine hasn't died while I've been moving, only when idling.

I just completed an oil change and it is still happening. I'm thinking it has something to do with my fuel pump or fuel filter maybe? Any ideas what the issue is?

Thanks!

· Super Moderator
564 Posts
Hey all, hope somebody can help! I have a 2011 Zuma 125 with about 7100 miles on it. As of lately, after about 10-20 minutes of riding, the bike sputters out when idling. When I try and restart it, the starter cranks but it won't start. After a couple hours it will start back up with no problem and run for another 10-20 minutes but then dies again. The engine hasn't died while I've been moving, only when idling.

I just completed an oil change and it is still happening. I'm thinking it has something to do with my fuel pump or fuel filter maybe? Any ideas what the issue is?

Thanks!
Ya those two things would be good to check.

· Super Moderator
564 Posts
I don't but..
The one looks to be just the pump, the other the pump and fuel gauge sender all together.
Normally if one suspects a fuel pump problem you check the fuel pressure.
I think these have a carburetor? I would suspect a dirty carb especially if the machine sits a lot like during the winter.
And also, if its a carb it needs very little pressure so the pump is not likely the problem. It sure wouldn't hurt to remove the assembly and see if it's gunked up though.
Your problem seems very odd that it only dies at idle when hot, all you can do just check things.
Does it have a manual choke? You can see how it runs with the choke on to narrow it down. If the choke is automatic somehow maybe it is not working correctly...
Have you looked at the spark plug? Seems odd that would cause the problem but it could be dirty too.
If you aren't at least mechanically inclined these things won't be easy to do.
I'm just guessing like crazy here too, I know nothing about Zumas.
Is there a Zuma forum? I would look.
oh, another thing comes to mind....oil pressure. It could be it wants to see oil pressure to run (guessing here) . If so, idle and hot will give you the lowest pressure. I'm thinking maybe the wrong oil (too low of weight rating) . Weak oil pump...low on oil....old oil....dirty oil filter....bad oil sender....that kind of thing.
Again...this is all one big guess.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't but..
The one looks to be just the pump, the other the pump and fuel gauge sender all together.
Normally if one suspects a fuel pump problem you check the fuel pressure.
I think these have a carburetor? I would suspect a dirty carb especially if the machine sits a lot like during the winter.
And also, if its a carb it needs very little pressure so the pump is not likely the problem. It sure wouldn't hurt to remove the assembly and see if it's gunked up though.
Your problem seems very odd that it only dies at idle when hot, all you can do just check things.
Does it have a manual choke? You can see how it runs with the choke on to narrow it down. If the choke is automatic somehow maybe it is not working correctly...
Have you looked at the spark plug? Seems odd that would cause the problem but it could be dirty too.
If you aren't at least mechanically inclined these things won't be easy to do.
I'm just guessing like crazy here too, I know nothing about Zumas.
Is there a Zuma forum? I would look.
oh, another thing comes to mind....oil pressure. It could be it wants to see oil pressure to run (guessing here) . If so, idle and hot will give you the lowest pressure. I'm thinking maybe the wrong oil (too low of weight rating) . Weak oil pump...low on oil....old oil....dirty oil filter....bad oil sender....that kind of thing.
Again...this is all one big guess.
It is fuel injected--there is no carb or choke.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have the same bike and had the same issues. I replaced the fuel pump twice and it still had the same problem. I took it to the dealer and it was the fuel pressure regulator. The whole assembly cost about $400 from Yamaha. I bought an aftermarket assembly from eBay for $100. Problem solved!

· Registered
2 Posts
Opichocal, that is a very cool dOG. I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU WERE BUYING. I HAVE A 2021 ZUMA 125. THERE IS NO TRADITIONAL FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR uNLESS IT IS INTEGRATED INTO THE FUEL PUMP. I'VE LOOKED AT THE PARTS MANUALS FROM PARTZILLA AS WELL AS BABBITS YAMAHA. I THOUGHT THERE WOULD BE A FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR AS WELL.BUT THERE IS NOT ONE. I TRACED OUT THE VERY SHORT FUEL CIRCUIT. THE 125 ZUMA DOES NOT HAVE A FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR. Back to the Zuma125 Fi problems. For 28 years I've worked on all kinds of cars including cars with fuel injection and never never replaced a fuel pressure regulator. I don't know, call it luck. Oh God where is my 2007 Carbureted Vino 125. So, so, so much easier! Did I say so much easier? SO MUCH EASIER! Hey and when your bike gets 10 years old & Yamaha don't make them any more, where are you gonna get a fuel pump? Order an "in the tank pump for a 1985 Ford Ranger 2.3L." You will understand when you see it. Or as an alternative adapt a carb onto your Zuma (there is stuff out there to do that) but you will need to put a low pressure fuel pump on your carb. Remember 125cc is the size of a small lawnmower. And Vino125's are gravity fed like a mower. You might even get an aftermarket carb for a Vino and put on your Zuma but you have to keep the FI plugged to prevent vacuum leaks and switch over to a low pressure fuel pump since the tank is under your feet. There are lots of options out there for self priming low pressure pumps. However because the Zuma is FI your power will be reduced a little.

· Registered
2 Posts
HEY EVERYONE I just got scammed! I purchased a Mighty Max YTX7A-BS GEL Battery through Walmart.com. I guess Walmart was my 1st mistake. So Gel batteries by definition are supposed to be sealed. This is because they are made for off road -bouncing around. As a result you're supposed to be able to mount them in ANY POSITION INCLUDING UPSIDE DOWN! Further in all batteries, electrolyte is supposed to completely cover the charge plates SO OXYGEN CANNOT GET TO THE PLATES AND SHORTEN BATTERY LIFE. The Blue Mighty Max Battery is regular acid battery with gell inside. It is not sealed 100% sealed so you cannot mount it upside down like a regular gel battery. The gell did not even cover the charging plates. Don't buy the Chinese B.S. and get cheated. All the Yuasa batteries have been good for me. I was low on cash and thought I'd give the Mighty Craper a try. Sad I did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts