Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. This is my first post. We are new to the waverunner world. We recently sold our boat and purchased 2 pre-owned waverunners. I'm having issues with one. We took our 2008 VX Deluxe to the river a few days ago. When we unloaded, it cranked right up fine but after only a few seconds, the check engine light came on and it started beeping. We loaded it back on the trailer and took it home. When I started on the hose it ran for a few seconds, just barely long enough to turn the water on, and then died. I have not been able to get it restarted since. The batter ran down as I tried starting so I took it out to charge. It still won't start. The engine will turn over but it just won't fire. Also the display won't come on. I'll get the little green light flashing saying it's unlocked, but nothing else. I've checked the fuses and they all seem fine. Same with the plugs. I'm at a loss. Does this have a reset switch for the electrical system? Could the batter still be the issue even though it will turn over? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hello. This is my first post. We are new to the waverunner world. We recently sold our boat and purchased 2 pre-owned waverunners. I'm having issues with one. We took our 2008 VX Deluxe to the river a few days ago. When we unloaded, it cranked right up fine but after only a few seconds, the check engine light came on and it started beeping. We loaded it back on the trailer and took it home. When I started on the hose it ran for a few seconds, just barely long enough to turn the water on, and then died. I have not been able to get it restarted since. The batter ran down as I tried starting so I took it out to charge. It still won't start. The engine will turn over but it just won't fire. Also the display won't come on. I'll get the little green light flashing saying it's unlocked, but nothing else. I've checked the fuses and they all seem fine. Same with the plugs. I'm at a loss. Does this have a reset switch for the electrical system? Could the batter still be the issue even though it will turn over? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I know next to nothing about these waverunners but I can tell you if it cranks over like normal it's not the battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As Warrior_Scott said, it's not the battery if you can crank the engine as normal.
The display dieing doesn't help things, did you check the cables running to the display as well as all connectors on the main control box.
If you have a power fault to the Computer or ignition system it won't start.
If the Ski's were used a lot in the Salt and not washed after use correctly, you could have some bad connections.
Just check the pins as they can dissolve over time especially the power ones, I had that happen on my Fish Finder as it was the only thing I didn't spray with the INOX.
I kept forgetting about the plug that sat in the Drink holder, until the Fish Finder died :)
It could just be a lose cable, that wasn't plugged in fully.
I would fault find the display first as I doubt you will get it running till then.
Did you check the oil and also when was it last serviced ?
They are a Four Stroke and not a Two stroke like the old Jet Skis.
Personally, I would take it to the Dealer or a good Jet Ski mechanic in your area to do a diagnostics as they have the tools and can probably tell you for only a few dollars what the problem is.
Also a Yamaha dealer would know any common faults with your model.
I get my 2008 FX-SHO serviced every 50 hours and to date, it starts first kick every time and I am the one normally towing the home handy men back into shore.
I also do a proper flush and wash down as well as spray the inside with INOX after every day out.
The Ski looks just like it did when I first bought it on the inside, the outside looks like a 2008 that has been used regularly :)
Good luck with the Ski, I just hope the previous owner cared for it properly and it doesn't cost you an arm or leg to repair.
How many hours have they done by the way ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts