Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this bike a few weeks ago with 35000 miles as my first motorcycle. It ran perfect for 200 miles until a couple days ago when it wouldnt start. I figured it was no big deal - just needed a new battery. Then it died on me while riding so i figured it was an issue with the stator, annoying but not the end of the world. Now Im being told that the magnets from the rotor may have gotten into the engine when it failed and the only way to tell would be to completely disassemble the engine which would not make financial sense. Basically my bike is totaled. Before I cut my losses and sell it as a parts bike for a big loss I wanted to get some second opinions here. When a rotor fails on these bikes can that really cause the engine to lock up? It does run perfectly fine when I put a charged battery in but I'm told that if there is any debris from the rotor that made its way into the engine it will lock up on me while riding in the future. It just seems unbelievable to me that a fairly common failure like this that gives absolutely no prior warning can total a bike, especially from Yamaha as I read so much about their perceived reliability prior to my purchase. Anyways, If anyone can weigh in I'd really appreciate it. I'd love to save my bike if there's any hope for it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts