Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had this issue for awhile, been riding with it for about a year, awaiting the day that it would come back to bite me. That day hasn't arrived but I want to deal with this once and for all.

The symptom:
1) When the bike is WARM, if I am rolling forward faster than 10MPH, if the bike is in Neutral or I pull the clutch in, there is a constant squeal coming from the left side, sounds like it is coming from within the area where the belt goes into the covered compartment of the engine. (I don't know official terminology here so bear with me).
2) If I am traveling, in any gear, and am cruising/not above certain RPMs, the bike makes the same noise from the same side but it's intermittent, almost like a inconsistent chirping sound.
The minute i give it more throttle, in any gear, the noise ceases unless i pull the clutch in.
3) The noise is non-existent when stopped, no matter the gear, rpms, or clutch lever being pulled. only when moving.
and finally, again, this noise is only occurring when moving above say 10/15MPH, so it's most noticeable when approaching a stop light/sign or disengaging the clutch to shift gears. Above 70mph and I can't hear anything due to wind-noise.

any diagnosis or tips here would be beneficial. I have spent a couple of days looking at forums, youtube, and service manuals and found nothing that matches this exact description.

Thanks in advance to any and all help!
AJ

P.S. Just to reiterate, again this only occurs when the bike is warmed up. So it doesn't happen when I first start riding, only a few minutes into a ride on a summers day. in the Winter time, it takes a bit longer or is less frequent, but it still occurs on a long enough ride.

·
Super Moderator
1986 FZ 600
34 Posts
That is very strange. Have you noticed a lack of power or poor engagement of the clutch?

I would first pull the clutch cover off and inspect for signs the clutch basket is touching the inside of the cover when you pull the clutch in. Things expand when they get warm.

I would also do a clutch adjustment per the manual. Are there any aftermarket parts in this assembly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is very strange. Have you noticed a lack of power or poor engagement of the clutch?

I would first pull the clutch cover off and inspect for signs the clutch basket is touching the inside of the cover when you pull the clutch in. Things expand when they get warm.

I would also do a clutch adjustment per the manual. Are there any aftermarket parts in this assembly?
So i have zero power issues or slippage to my knowledge, it reacts to the touch just like other bikes I've ridden before. just an annoying noise, really. I just took the cover off of the belt pulley and there was a bunch of surface rust, which came off easily with a wipe from a rag with parts cleaner. The belt is clean and undamaged, the nut is secure, I do not have a belt tension measurement tool to check the tension. (will be getting one soon)
I'm personally stumped at this point without disassembling the pulley itself to see if that's the cause or if it's further into the engine/clutch.
Worst case I can wait until the shop nearby is caught up and I'll take it there. I don't have the lift/equipment to do an engine/clutch overhaul.

·
Super Moderator
1986 FZ 600
34 Posts
Also, I should answer your question: there are add ons but they're all secured and make zero noise even in cross winds or freeway speeds.
Ah, by aftermarket parts I meant a fancy aftermarket engine cover or maybe aftermarket clutch or pulleys. Some engine covers in particular have had fitment (clearance) issues in the past. If you checked your cover you are good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, by aftermarket parts I meant a fancy aftermarket engine cover or maybe aftermarket clutch or pulleys. Some engine covers in particular have had fitment (clearance) issues in the past. If you checked your cover you are good.
Oh, gotcha, yeah no - everything is factory as far as the engine is concerned. No crazy overhauls or aftermarket replacements as of yet.

·
Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Houston, Texas
365 Posts
Check the front drive pulley for tightness. It's a known issue the front drive pulley can loosen and belt will normally ride on outside of pulley when this happens and squeak. When you are in neutral there's little belt tension so it runs true. Also inspect for red dust. If you have red dust that's sign that there's pulley to shaft play. Here's an example, notice belt on outside of pulley and red dust, this owner waited to long and had to repair shaft.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check the front drive pulley for tightness. It's a known issue the front drive pulley can loosen and belt will normally ride on outside of pulley when this happens and squeak. When you are in neutral there's little belt tension so it runs true. Also inspect for red dust. If you have red dust that's sign that there's pulley to shaft play. Here's an example, notice belt on outside of pulley and red dust, this owner waited to long and had to repair shaft.
ah, so red dust makes a lot better sense to what I saw, i thought it was rust but it came off reallllllly easy with parts cleaner on a rag
Well, that narrows down what the noise is at least. The belt is firm (Though not guitar string tight, if that makes sense) and the pulley isn't able to be moved by hand at least (though that could be due to the tension on the belt) I'm going to assume it's the belt tension and that the shaft is possibly damaged. So I'll start by adjusting the tension on the belt and seeing what happens from there.

In your opinion, should I worry about the shaft immediately?
And are there any lubricants I should apply to the pulley or is it best to leave it dry?

·
Super Moderator
553 Posts
If all is well, no pulley or shaft damage/looseness I think I would replace the belt.
Check for any alignment issues too like at the rear wheel.
I'm not a bike belt expert but I can tell you old belts on 4 wheel vehicles can and will make noise.
The way to test if something is the belt is spraying water on it while it's making noise, if it quits it's the belt. Way easier said than done on a m/c though....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts