Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm going to be doing a top end kit on a 1995 waverunner 1100. No compression on one cylinder. I'm hoping to get away with over boring the cylinders, replacing all pistons, rings, gaskets etc. Does anyone know if you can just pull the cylinders off the top of the motor without pulling the whole motor? I'm used to woking on snowmobiles that have separate jugs for each piston and that's easy to do without pulling the motor. I'm sure it would be a little tricky to compress the rings to slide them back in but is it impossible?

Thanks!
Greg

·
Registered
20 Posts
To answer your own question... it goes something like this:
1. I can clear the top head bolts coming out, plus can get a torque wrench on top with plenty of room. Yes or no?
2. I can't get the bolts out, they are more like long rods and hit the top of the body and that's it for clearance.
3. I can work with fiberglass so I'm going to make a latching hood over the engine that when locked closed, it's waterproof.
4. I can drill each head bolt hole and run rubber plugs over the stud holes. Oh crap, the head won't clear now.

Get in there and get to it.

·
Super Moderator
452 Posts
To answer your own question... it goes something like this:
1. I can clear the top head bolts coming out, plus can get a torque wrench on top with plenty of room. Yes or no?
2. I can't get the bolts out, they are more like long rods and hit the top of the body and that's it for clearance.
3. I can work with fiberglass so I'm going to make a latching hood over the engine that when locked closed, it's waterproof.
4. I can drill each head bolt hole and run rubber plugs over the stud holes. Oh crap, the head won't clear now.

Get in there and get to it.
The real concern seems to be if the cylinders are removable for machining.
(I have no idea)
@e36alpine Why not get a service manual? It might come in handy right about now.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I agree with Scott. That book or know the spec torque on the head and you are good to go. Pretty much straight forward on R&R. Studs just say w/washer and not length. So looks like those studs might be pretty long and I was joking about how to handle the stud length vs. glass.

This might take an engine pull. Only one stud away tells you without calling the dealer. This way, I have no problem leveling the pistons, tilt the barrel down on each closed ring end. They are staked so all you have to do is look around the 360 so no ring is sticking out of the groove. Whereas the book says the flat rate, or say 3.7hrs to refresh the top end. Where you call the dealer's service dept and ask how much a top end job would be. If they say 12hrs, then you know it's pull the engine. Just saying to see what the difference is? Have no clue of the wave's flat rates.

Seems all parts are available. Here's the downside. Say that one piston just snowballed the aluminum off the piston and that mixes with the roller or needle bearings at the big end rod. That's a 1000 dollar crank. Still cheaper than a new wave-run'r. So, no 25 over but 50 over and you're done. Then that's another 1000 give or take we start talking wasted parts like the barrels and pistons. Still ahead on the cheap.... if the rest of the runner doesn't nickel and dime you like now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not trying to rain down on your project, I would check out your local laws and make sure no new Pollution standards are being introduced soon as Climate change is a fact of life as far as governments and Green activists are concerned.
Where I live, two strokes are banned on Dams and Lakes and soon they will no longer be able to be registered as they won't pass pollution standards.
The Government has also banned the sale of all two strokes as of 2020.
How long you will be able to register a two stroke that is well past 20 years old at least where I live does have a time limit, please check your area for any changes before spending all that time, effort and money on something that may have a time limit or even an expiration date already in place or ready to be enacted ?
All it takes is a signature on a bill and bingo a Pipeline is stopped or a Wall or even two stroke engines :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts