Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

My friend dropped their 1989 Route 66 (XV250) off at my house for me to tinker on, and now that spring is approaching I want it out of my garage! I would love some help thinking through what is happening and how to fix it.

This winter I took the carb off and cleaned it, and replaced the cracked fuel and vacuum lines. Everything went back together.

The bike starts great, runs at idle with and without the choke, but will die if you give it throttle. I mean it shuts off like you turned the key.

Is the due to a vacuum leak in the carb? If I remember the vacuum chamber cover was coated in RTV that i cleaned off. The diagram shows an o-ring or large round gasket that sealed the cover around the diaphragm. I am assuming that is my issue.

I need to replace the screws that hold the cover on. Somebody destroyed the heads on them, leading me to believe this is close to the problem area. I will look for an o-ring that will fit at the hardware store, but i doubt i fill find anything.

I did see carb kits on ebay and even new (non-Mikuni) carbs for very cheap. I could not tell if the kits included the vacuum chamber seal if that is the issue.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, I went ahead and ordered a rebuilt kit. It includes a diaphragm and all the internal components. For $15 I thought that was a pretty good deal. When it comes in I will just replace everything, and see if my problem still exists.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts