Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

thought I would give an update to the restoration. This radian was bought for a college kid. He used it for 4 years at NC State and then I think it sat for 10 years. I have almost went through every nut and bolt. I didn’t remove the engine, wire harness or swing arm. Yet… I have cleaned almost everything from rust and oxidation. It’s been a good project. Much quicker than a car/truck!!!

I still need to finish my front brakes. I have the calipers split and I am cleaning those parts now. Then build brakes lines and add fluid. Fingers crossed. I just finish the master but when I went to put the mirror on I found the previous owner some how cut the mount off. Much cussing! So now I am doing a second EBay master that has the mount… Any recommendations for brake fluid. I have a new un-opened bottle of bel ray dot 5

I fired off the engine a few weeks ago. After bench setting the carb sync I was happy it was close and it ran fine. I had soaked the cylinders and had to get all that crud burnt off. I purchased the motion pro sync gauges and after I few experiments I have settled on a fairly good tune.

I took her out three times for test runs and it felt good. My fuel line kinked twice. My fault. I wanted to leave it long with an inline filter so I could raise the tank and hook up the gauges. But that did t work. It had good response and doesn’t hesitate if you twist it to pass I am curious to the vent lines on the carbs. They have the vent tees but there were no lines on them. I see the California bikes had a canister. I do not. I just ran some vent lines to dump next to the tank vent. I did see another Radian that he’d the vent lines ran upwards off carbs and then down to dump. Is that on purpose? They haven’t been dumping anything…

The clutch seems to be hurt. I’m not sure to what extent sitting for so long would do to it or me changing oil to a different brand but I can get it to slip when I run it hard. And I’m about out adjustment on the cable. Who knows how the college kid was on it… Question: Does everyone still like about an eighth of free play and have it grab close off the grip? Seems like that is how I always ran it. The HD is about like that.

The suspension is pretty sloppy. 35 years old. Not ready for track day. I’ll address that later. It was nice to put on a full face helmet for a change and hear that Jap 4 cylinder. It’s a nice change of pace from the potato potato. It’s great to have another vintage bike on the road. Now time to get insurance and a plate!

cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rainy day Sunday. Warm enough to ride. Maybe road will dry… until then. Brakes. Sonic cleaned and then cleaned and cleaned. Maybe get some paint on them and seals in. Master will need Sonic cleaned. On my third master. OG had a broke bolt in cover bolt hole. Second one someone removed the mirror mount. Third time a charm. Thank goodness for EBay.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Bumper
Automotive tire Gas Machine Auto part Metal
Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Ratchet Gas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts