Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am by no means an expert on carbs and this one has a serious lack of how to videos to help guide me. This carb, 1982 virago xv750, was in desperate need of a rebuild. Sat for +10 years and was completely gummed up. I cleaned it, soaked whole carb, never broke the dual linkage apart. Replaced the parts from the rebuild kit and reinstalled on the motor. I was able to get the motor to run about 2 years ago but was really rough and wouldn't idle. After the carb rebuild it wont try to start at all. I'm going to loosen the pilot screw because I know I overtightened it (bottomed it out). Would this stop the motor from starting at all or do I have another issue? I'm going to make sure I have spark and everything tomorrow. Also going to verify the floats are installed properly (pretty sure they are but maybe I spaced) and gonna grab some starter fluid and see if it kicks at all. Trying to rule some stuff out but I would think its a carb issue since its what I messed with. Thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update. Got it started. Wont start unless im giving it some gas. Cant tighten idle screw enough to keep at idle. Not sure what i need to adjust on carb. Gonna do some research. let me know if you got an idea.

·
Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Houston, Texas
198 Posts
How far out are the PSM screws? Did you clean the small holes on the pilot jets? Did the float jets have a bounce to them? Did you bench sync the carbs? Are you trying to start with air box on or off? There's restriction to the air box that will effect the bike without it on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It might sound daft, but is a possibility. Are you certain that you refitted the valve needle which opens and closes the fuel feed when the float rises and falls in the float chamber ? They easily drop out as you try to refit the float on many types of carb. I don't know the carb on your bike, but the needle valve is pretty standard. If you are getting too high a fuel flow, revving would tend to reduce the problem. This can only be the cause on bilkes with more than one carb, as you would need one cylinder to be getting the right amount of fuel, or the bike would never start. Whilst this is far less likely than other defects, it is one which could very easily go unnoticed.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Update. Got it started. Wont start unless im giving it some gas. Cant tighten idle screw enough to keep at idle. Not sure what i need to adjust on carb. Gonna do some research. let me know if you got an idea.
I will add, the pilot jet/s are most likely plugged. You usually have to poke them out with a small wire or tool. Esp if it doesn't like to idle or cuts out right off idle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts