Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, hows everyone doing ?

I am a new rider since 6 months and I have an opportunity to buy a 1981 yamaha seca 750 in prestime condition from a rich guy who has other bikes too. I rode a 2010 honda cbr250 and 2015 suzuki gw250 but sold them. Someone on youtube wrote that " The torque while accelerating or decelerating can send you where you don't intend and is dangerous ".

Is this bike more difficult to handle and maneuver than a new bike ? Thanks !!

· Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Bandera, Texas
443 Posts
While chassis design has changed a lot from the early 80s, it's not hard to ride. I had many early to mid 80s bikes and never thought twice about it. Now ride a brand new bike, then jump on an 80s bike and you will notice some frame flex. Don't know what kind of car you have, but take a brand new car, let's say Mustang, then drive one from the 80s. There's definitely a difference, but doesn't make the 80s bad. Good luck and keep us informed.

Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Automotive fuel system

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While chassis design has changed a lot from the early 80s, it's not hard to ride. I had many early to mid 80s bikes and never thought twice about it. Now ride a brand new bike, then jump on an 80s bike and you will notice some frame flex. Don't know what kind of car you have, but take a brand new car, let's say Mustang, then drive one from the 80s. There's definitely a difference, but doesn't make the 80s bad. Good luck and keep us informed.

View attachment 2737
hi, thanks for replying and the warm welcome. I dont drive a car, i was talking about a motorcycle. 1981 yamaha seca 750 =)

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car was just an example of how technology has changed so you could draw a comparison.
Yes, hehe, I understand what you mean. Thanks for the knowledge. I am not handy at all but I admire carburetor bikes because they are the original. Fuel ignition is convenient.

Attachments

· Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Bandera, Texas
443 Posts
Nice looking bike!! I would definitely do a full service, oil change, air filter change, check brakes, change brake fluid, fuel filter change and an overall nut and bolt check. Look inside gas tank, see any rust, take care 9f it.. One thing that's often overlooked is the age of tires. Tires have a self life of 5 years. They start to deteriorate after that making them unsafe, even if tread looks good.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Bumper

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice looking bike!! I would definitely do a full service, oil change, air filter change, check brakes, change brake fluid, fuel filter change and an overall nut and bolt check. Look inside gas tank, see any rust, take care 9f it.. One thing that's often overlooked is the age of tires. Tires have a self life of 5 years. They start to deteriorate after that making them unsafe, even if tread looks good.

View attachment 2739
Hi, thanks so much for the reply !! I appreciate it. but what do you think about what that guy on youtube wrote about this bike. " The torque while accelerating or decelerating can send you where you don't intend and is dangerous ". Thanks !!

· Super Moderator
1986 FZ 600
90 Posts
Hi, thanks so much for the reply !! I appreciate it. but what do you think about what that guy on youtube wrote about this bike. " The torque while accelerating or decelerating can send you where you don't intend and is dangerous ". Thanks !!
YouTube is a great source of info if you have a reliable channel with a knowledgeable host. There are some on there who are not giving completely accurate info and some that are just plain wrong.

The 750 is going to be more powerful than the bikes you listed and it is also going to engine brake harder (better?). Yes it will start and stop faster. I wouldn’t call that bike dangerous though.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YouTube is a great source of info if you have a reliable channel with a knowledgeable host. There are some on there who are not giving completely accurate info and some that are just plain wrong.

The 750 is going to be more powerful than the bikes you listed and it is also going to engine brake harder (better?). Yes it will start and stop faster. I wouldn’t call that bike dangerous though.
Thanks so much for your help and guidance, I appreciate it. Do you think a cbr 600 is better for me ?

· Super Moderator
1986 FZ 600
90 Posts
The CBR is going to be a true sport bike. If your concern is that controlling the bike will be erratic or "twitchy" then I would say the CBR
will have a much higher potential to catch you off guard. The power a sport inline four produces is quite manageable at low rpms but you hit a pint where it makes much more power quickly. Again, not dangerous, just a factor to consider when you ride it.

How did you like the 2015 suzuki gw250 ? The SECA 750 is going to be a similar riding position but with more power. That doesn't mean it is dangerous, I think you would be fine on the SECA. It is the "easier" bike to ride if your other option is the CBR600.

Besides, SECAs are cool....

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The CBR is going to be a true sport bike. If your concern is that controlling the bike will be erratic or "twitchy" then I would say the CBR
will have a much higher potential to catch you off guard. The power a sport inline four produces is quite manageable at low rpms but you hit a pint where it makes much more power quickly. Again, not dangerous, just a factor to consider when you ride it.

How did you like the 2015 suzuki gw250 ? The SECA 750 is going to be a similar riding position but with more power. That doesn't mean it is dangerous, I think you would be fine on the SECA. It is the "easier" bike to ride if your other option is the CBR600.

Besides, SECAs are cool....
I always knew before i even got my license that a riding position such as the suzuki gw250 had ( upright ) like riding a bicycle was best for me. Sorry, i meant to ask about the cbr 650. The yamaha fz650 is a sport/touring bike so the position is not so aggressive as a 600. I like being upright for more control.

In the driving school i used a 2017 honda rebel 500 and i really really love this bike so i recently discovered the yamha bolt 950 but i cant afford it so thats when i found the seca 750 from a rich guy who has other bikes and keeps them all in prestine condition that i brought him down to $ 1800 Cad. Its just im not handy at all but i know things were built better back in the day. fuel injection seems more simple.

thanks for your help ! which bike do you have ?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always knew before i even got my license that a riding position such as the suzuki gw250 had ( upright ) like riding a bicycle was best for me. Sorry, i meant to ask about the cbr 650. The yamaha fz650 is a sport/touring bike so the position is not so aggressive as a 600. I like being upright for more control.

In the driving school i used a 2017 honda rebel 500 and i really really love this bike so i recently discovered the yamha bolt 950 but i cant afford it so thats when i found the seca 750 from a rich guy who has other bikes and keeps them all in prestine condition that i brought him down to $ 1800 Cad. Its just im not handy at all but i know things were built better back in the day. fuel injection seems more simple.

im a cruiser type of rider. cruising in freedom 😎

· Super Moderator
1986 FZ 600
90 Posts

$1800.00 is a good price for that bike. Yes fuel injection is easier. Personally I enjoy working on them too, it is part of the journey. I also believe there is an intangible benefit to having worked on the bike your self. You get to know the machine inside and out. There is no direct corellation, but I have always felt more comfortable on a bike I have actually worked on and cared for.

My current ride is a 1989 GSXR 1100 that I built from basically a frame and crates of parts. I have started a new 1986 Yamaha FZ600 project here.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i know what you mean by being connected to your bike by working on it yourself, its a relationship. I appreciate all of your advice, I`m a cruiser type of guy, I will try to research a yamaha vigaro fuel injected because a guy on youtube said vigaros in 1995 were extremely bulletproof

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
$1800.00 is a good price for that bike. Yes fuel injection is easier. Personally I enjoy working on them too, it is part of the journey. I also believe there is an intangible benefit to having worked on the bike your self. You get to know the machine inside and out. There is no direct corellation, but I have always felt more comfortable on a bike I have actually worked on and cared for.

My current ride is a 1989 GSXR 1100 that I built from basically a frame and crates of parts. I have started a new 1986 Yamaha FZ600 project here.
im going to see a 1999 yamaha virago 1100 tomorrow for $1650 cad from an older gentleman whos been riding for 40 years. Do you think viragos have issues ? i read the starters are a problem. here is the bike

btw, which part of canada are you in ? im in montreal

Attachments

· Super Moderator
1986 FZ 600
90 Posts
I don’t know much about the Virago Donny. To be honest I am a GSXR guy. (Shhhh. Don’t tell anyone).

The price sounds good if it runs relatively smooth and there are no red flags like crash damage or poor maintenance (chain/oil/brake fluid/tires). How many klms on it?

You can budget to change all fluids, inspect the clutch, and probably brakes and chain. If the cost of that + buying the bike is still a good deal then it is a no brainer.

I am in Niagara Falls. Good to see a fellow Canuck out here.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don’t know much about the Virago Donny. To be honest I am a GSXR guy. (Shhhh. Don’t tell anyone).

The price sounds good if it runs relatively smooth and there are no red flags like crash damage or poor maintenance (chain/oil/brake fluid/tires). How many klms on it?

You can budget to change all fluids, inspect the clutch, and probably brakes and chain. If the cost of that + buying the bike is still a good deal then it is a no brainer.

I am in Niagara Falls. Good to see a fellow Canuck out here.
Hey Tinsnips, hope your doing good ! i just re-read all of your posts here and wanted to just say thanks for caring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts