Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I just purchased a ct1 175 for a couple hundred bucks and I am trying to get it back into running shape. Someone has prior to my PO cut out all the electrical excepting from the coil to the plugs.

I've got it running pretty regularly now. (sometimes it floods out?) My problem is that it dies as soon as it is put into gear. It will idle fine in neutral but as soon as I let the clutch out it bogs down hard and dies.

I started it up, stuck it on a crate and ran it thru the gears that way. It STILL almost died and had absolutely NO power. It could barely get the tire moving along but did cycle thru the gears.

Also it is putting out A LOT of white smoke from the pipe and drips oil from the exhaust.

Can anyone tell me what to look for first? Is this engine no good?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Not to sure where to get you started, but have you looked at the spark plugs yet? Are they drenched in oil?
Sound like it's burning oil, but has it been sitting around for a long time without being ridden?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has been sitting around for a while. I bought it off of a nice older gentleman who said he parked it in 1990 something after running it to empty.

I think it might have a bad seal and be burning a lot of oil.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Hello all!

I just purchased a ct1 175 for a couple hundred bucks and I am trying to get it back into running shape. Someone has prior to my PO cut out all the electrical excepting from the coil to the plugs.

I've got it running pretty regularly now. (sometimes it floods out?) My problem is that it dies as soon as it is put into gear. It will idle fine in neutral but as soon as I let the clutch out it bogs down hard and dies.

I started it up, stuck it on a crate and ran it thru the gears that way. It STILL almost died and had absolutely NO power. It could barely get the tire moving along but did cycle thru the gears.

Also it is putting out A LOT of white smoke from the pipe and drips oil from the exhaust.

Can anyone tell me what to look for first? Is this engine no good?

Thanks in advance.
Hi & Welcome
You need to decoke the exhaust system, you first remove it sepperate the baffle & tail pipe (some CT's didn't have a tail pipe just the baffle). Remove any tin ware and heat the system (blow torch or gas ring) for a good hour or 2 moving the heat so the whole system gets hot. once all the carbon has dried the white smoke will stop coming out of the system (as the carbon dries the oil that has kept it moist burns off). Then beat the shit :bonk: out of the system with a hammer, along the seams and any strong point you can find, then shake out the lumps of carbon. Heat the baffle and clean down with a wire brush and screwdriver.
While the exhaust is off get the piston to bdc and scrape out any carbon deposits in the exhaust port.
This can take some time to do but it should restore the performance to the bike
You could try filling the system with a very strong caustic soda solution which will desolve the carbon but you will then have to heat the exhaust in order to remove the caustic soda solution.
Also check the ignition timing which should be 1.8mm btdc fully advanced (if your CT has an advance unit fitted) and also the oil pump minimum stroke setting ... I cannot remember that off the top of my head but I would guess it to be 0.5mm with the oil pump in the closed position.
Hopes this helps
Regards Jim

Reactions: rbdancer

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Not to sure where to get you started, but have you looked at the spark plugs yet? Are they drenched in oil?
Sound like it's burning oil, but has it been sitting around for a long time without being ridden?
Hi Chris
:doh2:
two strokes do burn oil their engine lube as it is used on a total loss basis rather than a 4 stroke which recycles it's engine lube
Regards Jim :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the replies!

Do you think it could be a crank seal that is bad? sucking tranny oil in? There is an AWFUL lot of oil sitting in the tail pipe. I remove it and can pour it out. (its dark like engine oil)

How do I seperate the baffle from the pipe? Do I have to cut anything? I dont have any welding equipment. I'll try what you said about heating it and banging the hell out of it.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
738 Posts

Do you think it could be a crank seal that is bad? sucking tranny oil in? There is an AWFUL lot of oil sitting in the tail pipe. I remove it and can pour it out. (its dark like engine oil)

How do I seperate the baffle from the pipe? Do I have to cut anything? I dont have any welding equipment. I'll try what you said about heating it and banging the hell out of it.

Thanks again!
I would doubt the crank seal has gone unless the gearbox is devoid of oil ! when the engine/silencer becomes coked up the 2 stroke oil doesn't burn as it should which then gives the white smoke. can you post if your exhaust is the one that runs to the outside of the bike with a chrome section on it or does it twist behind the r/h rear shock with tin ware just below the riders right leg ... with this I can give you some more advice
Regards Jim

·
Premium Member
738 Posts

How do I seperate the baffle from the pipe? Do I have to cut anything?

Thanks again!
no you don't need anything to remove the baffle it's held in with a cross head/Phillips/allen screw so I guess you don't need any heavy stuff to fix this problem
Regards Jim

Reactions: Alcaeus

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WELL

I took off the pipe finally. (things slowed down a bit on the home front) and started it up without the exhaust. It was able to take off and tool me down the road without the pipe on so it sounds like your totally right Jim!

I didnt ride for more than a minute because I didnt want to damage it but it sure felt good to go under its own power for a bit :)

I will heat it tomorrow if I can and tell you all the results. What do you suggest I use. All I have is a propane brush torch. Should I make a harbor freight run?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would doubt the crank seal has gone unless the gearbox is devoid of oil ! when the engine/silencer becomes coked up the 2 stroke oil doesn't burn as it should which then gives the white smoke. can you post if your exhaust is the one that runs to the outside of the bike with a chrome section on it or does it twist behind the r/h rear shock with tin ware just below the riders right leg ... with this I can give you some more advice
Regards Jim
its the pipe with the chrome along it and it goes along the outside of the bike. No twisting or anything.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
its the pipe with the chrome along it and it goes along the outside of the bike. No twisting or anything.

Thanks!
Ok
remove the chrome (it should be on 2 or 3 screws) and heat the entire pipe then :bonk: the pipe along the welded seams and the screw mounts where the chrome piece fitted unless the pipe is to ripe (rotten) to take it.Once you have shook all the carbon out the pipe itself should way about 2 kilos when cleaned out.
then move to the exhaust port

as you can see from the picture this port has a fair amount of carbon built up in it (it should round to oval) and can be cleaned out with a flat screw driver until you can see the port
Then just check the minimum oil pump stroke setting (0.1 ~ 0.15 mm) after the cable has been adjusted correctly. Or pay the air fare & I'll pop over & do it for you :smirk:

Regards Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I did what you said and put it in my outside fireplace for over an hour. It smoked like crazy and I took it out when it stopped.

I hit it with a hammer pretty hard but nothing came out. I stuck it back on the bike and I still dont have any power. If I try to put it in gear it just barely can get me going if I ride the clutch.

Am I doing something wrong?

Could there be another problem?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Well I did what you said and put it in my outside fireplace for over an hour. It smoked like crazy and I took it out when it stopped.

I hit it with a hammer pretty hard but nothing came out. I stuck it back on the bike and I still dont have any power. If I try to put it in gear it just barely can get me going if I ride the clutch.

Am I doing something wrong?

Could there be another problem?

Thanks!
Hi,
with nothing coming out of the exhaust means either it did not get hot enough or you didn 't hit it hard enough. Or it could be that the main hole in the exhaust is that blocked it cannot get out .... you did remove the baffle ?
Regards Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,
with nothing coming out of the exhaust means either it did not get hot enough or you didn 't hit it hard enough. Or it could be that the main hole in the exhaust is that blocked it cannot get out .... you did remove the baffle ?
Regards Jim
there isnt a baffle as far as I can tell. Nothing screwed into it.

I will take a picture.

I dont have any equipment to make it hotter. Should I bang it when it is hot or cold?

I dont see anything in the pipe or the engine that looks liket he pictures above

I will try again.

thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well.

I tried again to no avail. Banged the hell out of it and nothing came out.

I had a motorcycle guy come over and look at it to give me an estimate. He seems to think that it is sucking oil and that is why oil is dripping out the exhaust. He says that he thinks the rings are shot and thats why it is so smoky and oily.

What would I need to replace exactly?

Should I replace the whole piston?

what do you all think?

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
well.

I tried again to no avail. Banged the hell out of it and nothing came out.

I had a motorcycle guy come over and look at it to give me an estimate. He seems to think that it is sucking oil and that is why oil is dripping out the exhaust. He says that he thinks the rings are shot and thats why it is so smoky and oily.

What would I need to replace exactly?

Should I replace the whole piston?

what do you all think?
Hi,
I guess 'none of the above' as I said before the only place the engine can suck oil is from the gearbox via the the r/h crankshaft oil seal, which if the seal is well damaged the bike would not run or if it did the plug would oil & fail within a short period of time. As you said before the bike ran under its own power without the exhaust fitted so it still points to the system blocked up... as an experiment remove the exhaust and ride it for a mile or so (some where out the way as it will be loud your people next door may :foul:) if the bike revs out in each gear and doesn't slow down too much on inclines it will prove the exhaust is at fault. If you do that check the gearbox oil level b4 you set out then again when you finish if it is the same you can discount the crank seal.
Does your mechanic know the difference between a 2 stroke & a 4 stroke ? as what he has told you is try of a 4 stroke but incorrect of a 2 stroke I would guess a skype call between us so I can have instant responses (you have instant answers too) is the best way to go ... PM me and we can set it up
Regards Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello again Jim!

Its been a while but I am finally getting back into being able to work on the bike some. I have rebuilt the Carburetor and not it doesn't flow out the overflow any more and got a new seal on the gas tank.

Using your help I took off the cylinder and checked the bore for grooves and other problems but it seemed to check out fine.

Buttoned it all back up and it wont start at all! :(

I have 85 pounds of compression and I know all the seals are alright in the carb. Its getting spark and when I pull the plug after kicking it for a couple minutes its fouled so I know its getting fuel.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is just a dumb thought, but worth looking into as I have seen many people fall into this trap. Are you running premixed oil and 2 cycle oil through the pump? this fouls up plugs and exhaust pipes fast.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts