Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2006 v star 650. I have rebuilt the carburetor, replaced the ignition coils, synced the carburetors, replaced the petcock valve, replaced the fuel filter, and all the fuel lines. It still bogs down when I get up past 35 and will not go above 45 MPH. Is there anything I am missing? I have also set the mixture screws to where stock setting, meaning 2 1/2 turns from bottom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My '07 V Star 650 was very hard to start every since I got it last year and then it started doing the same thing that yours is having an issue with. The previous owner had changed the intake boots and replaced them with some cheap aftermarket ones. One of the new intake boots had developed a crack and was causing it to run very lean. I bought new OEM intake boots and that solved my problem. Check yours for cracks or as mentioned above, possibly they just aren't seated properly and causing an air leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've checked all the lines and no cracks. I did find a line between the carburetors that seems to connect to nothing. When I spray some carb cleaner in the line, it causes the engine to stall. Also, when I plug up the line the motor stalls. There seems to be a fitting for the hose just behind the air filter. Am I possibly missing a hose between that fitting and the air filter housing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
That hose just connects to the air filter housing as you mentioned. The nipple it connects to is just an open port. I believe it is an overflow tube in case the carbs flood from a stuck float or a bad needle valve seat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are correct Ralph.
So more to add. I have no vacuum leaks. I checked all of the lines. I know that the spark plugs are gapped correctly.
When I rebuilt the carburetors could I have set the diaphram needles wrong?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I suppose that could be the problem. Hope I am getting this right but if the needles are set so that they go down too low that could cause it to be starving for fuel when accelerating. The needles wouldn't be able to pull up enough to get the air/fuel mixture correct causing a lean condition. Something else to check would be the fuel itself, it could have water in the tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i reset the needles to OEM and it is still giving me issues. It feels like when I get to mid and higher RPMs it just cuts out. No vacuum leaks, plugs are new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am all out of suggestions bud. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I usually try to fix things myself whenever possible just because I am cheap but there comes a time when it pays to get a qualified mechanic involved. Sounds like this may be where you are at. Doesn't do you any good to have a bike that you can't even ride. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm to that point too. I am going to try replacing the fuel pump and the throttle position sensor and see if that fixes the issue. That, and resync the carbs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts