Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 R1 that is having issue's starting, I can see and hear the starter spinning and the gear it's attached to as well(#22) because the clutch area was exposed and the one way bearing was replaced(clutch bearing)location of the one way bearing is between #17 and #19. The bike just does not seem to turn over, I'm guessing it could be the gear that the one way bearing sits on #18, what are your guys thoughts on this?

·
426 Posts
I have an 02 R1 that is having issue's starting, I can see and hear the starter spinning and the gear it's attached to as well(#22) because the clutch area was exposed and the one way bearing was replaced(clutch bearing)location of the one way bearing is between #17 and #19. The bike just does not seem to turn over, I'm guessing it could be the gear that the one way bearing sits on #18, what are your guys thoughts on this? View attachment 1577
It should be easy to tell if it's a bad gear, it would be worn bad, teeth real bad. I know you said the sprag was replaced but that is the likely culprit.
I'm assuming you mean the starter is spinning but the engine is not. Correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should be easy to tell if it's a bad gear, it would be worn bad, teeth real bad. I know you said the sprag was replaced but that is the likely culprit.
I'm assuming you mean the starter is spinning but the engine is not. Correct?
The starter is operational and also the next gear that follows, hard to say if that gear(starter clutch idle gear) is spinning the starter clutch gear while everything is on since the bike does not attempt to turn over. I mentioned the one-way bearing was replaced but that did not seem to resolve the issue. The only culprit that it could be is that the starter clutch gear can be worn out(the part that sits on the one-way bearing) because the teeth look fine. My question then becomes if the starter is not spinning fast enough will it not attempt to catch the one-way bearing and turn the engine over? What else should I examine if these two issue's don't resolve the problem?

·
426 Posts
The only culprit that it could be is that the starter clutch gear can be worn out(the part that sits on the one-way bearing) because the teeth look fine. My question then becomes if the starter is not spinning fast enough will it not attempt to catch the one-way bearing and turn the engine over? What else should I examine if these two issue's don't resolve the problem?
I would say that could be the case. Examine it and see if it's worn badly.
As for the starter not spinning fast enough. Not likely but I think you should be sure the battery is fully charged or even try to jump it off of a know good one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts