Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t not find anywhere in the US that has a cdi box matching the part number for the one on my bike I was wondering if maybe someone on here had one for sale. The only ones I found were in Europe and they go by different specs so I’m not sure if it is going to change anything on my bike I kno the ones for the gsxr I found said they had to tear out the old wire harness and change some things around and I’m on trying to avoid that. Part number is 5jj-82305-40 is top number 131800-7730is bottom number then it has 12v/tndf58? Thanks in advance?

·
416 Posts
I can’t not find anywhere in the US that has a cdi box matching the part number for the one on my bike I was wondering if maybe someone on here had one for sale. The only ones I found were in Europe and they go by different specs so I’m not sure if it is going to change anything on my bike I kno the ones for the gsxr I found said they had to tear out the old wire harness and change some things around and I’m on trying to avoid that. Part number is 5jj-82305-40 is top number 131800-7730is bottom number then it has 12v/tndf58? Thanks in advance?
just a suggestion. I'm assuming you have no spark. Have you checked the pickup coil? At least that can be checked with an ohm meter. I think that is more likely to be the problem anyway. You will need a repair manual of course.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just a suggestion. I'm assuming you have no spark. Have you checked the pickup coil? At least that can be checked with an ohm meter. I think that is more likely to be the problem anyway. You will need a repair manual of course.
I have the service and repair Manuel for the bike I actually have it in a shop that builds race bikes. It has been in a shop for over a year 3 different ones to be exact I have replaced everything on the bike with brand new parts. It has been in the shop it is at now for 4 months and finally they identified the problem I was told it is firing on cylinders 2 and 4 but only fires on 1 and 3 after it reaches 2500 rpms after it reaches that point they said it runs like a top anything below and it runs like crap idles like crap. I was told by another shop the same thing to check pick up coils. With the information I just gave you do you still believe it could be the pick up coils?

·
Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Houston, Texas
65 Posts
This is not to be negative, but three years in a shop? WOW. I might suggest another full service shop. In the repair manual are the testing procedure for basically everything on you bike. From what you posted, I think possibly your plug wires are run wrong from your coils. Coil 1 fires 1&4 cylinders, coil 2 fires 2&3.

Also the coils could have high resistance which starts to act right at higher RPM and votage output is greater from stator. Test procedure from manual:

Testing pickup coil is easy. Again, from repair manual:

If you have a multimeter you can easily test these items. If your "shop" that's had you bike for three years has run these test, ask them for actual reading. But I'm leaning toward an electric short in wires going to coils, which are shorting out and added voltage from higher RPMs overcome the resistance. Keep us informed.

·
416 Posts
I have the service and repair Manuel for the bike I actually have it in a shop that builds race bikes. It has been in a shop for over a year 3 different ones to be exact I have replaced everything on the bike with brand new parts. It has been in the shop it is at now for 4 months and finally they identified the problem I was told it is firing on cylinders 2 and 4 but only fires on 1 and 3 after it reaches 2500 rpms after it reaches that point they said it runs like a top anything below and it runs like crap idles like crap. I was told by another shop the same thing to check pick up coils. With the information I just gave you do you still believe it could be the pick up coils?
well, looking at that repair manual online I must say it sucks for diagrams. But....it looks like it only has 1 pickup coil, so if wasn't working it would not fire on any cylinders.
To be honest, I would not trust what they say is happening, especially if they cant fix it.
But, with that being said, look at what @Lesblank posted. Double check the coil wires and their routing.
So, it has had BOTH coils replaced?
Can you please explain the symptoms of the problem, not what the "race bike shop" says it's doing.
That will probably help. (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is not to be negative, but three years in a shop? WOW. I might suggest another full service shop. In the repair manual are the testing procedure for basically everything on you bike. From what you posted, I think possibly your plug wires are run wrong from your coils. Coil 1 fires 1&4 cylinders, coil 2 fires 2&3.

View attachment 1598

Also the coils could have high resistance which starts to act right at higher RPM and votage output is greater from stator. Test procedure from manual:

View attachment 1599

View attachment 1600

Testing pickup coil is easy. Again, from repair manual:

View attachment 1601

If you have a multimeter you can easily test these items. If your "shop" that's had you bike for three years has run these test, ask them for actual reading. But I'm leaning toward an electric short in wires going to coils, which are shorting out and added voltage from higher RPMs overcome the resistance. Keep us informed.
It has been in a total of 3 shops for the past year not 3 years, you misread the post. It has been at maxx speed cycles in NC for about 5 months. They are a performance shop that builds race bikes. The issues is 100 percent the cdi boxes the charging system has been replaced, carbs have been rebuilt, valves checked ignition coils and spark plugs replaced the coils have been tested and are checking out good. The coil fires and the bike runs great after 2500 rpms. But I just found out a day ago that supposedly the cdi box for my year and model has been discontinued so unless I can find someone with the part then I just bought and spent quite a bit of money for absolutely no reason.

·
65 Posts
Yes, I did miss read your post. Bummer that cdi box is bad. There's plenty of motorcycle salvage yards that should be able to track one down. Wouldn't be new, but would get you back on the road. Still a little puzzled to why it took 5 months to diagnose. Or were you getting other things done?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, looking at that repair manual online I must say it sucks for diagrams. But....it looks like it only has 1 pickup coil, so if wasn't working it would not fire on any cylinders.
To be honest, I would not trust what they say is happening, especially if they cant fix it.
But, with that being said, look at what @Lesblank posted. Double check the coil wires and their routing.
So, it has had BOTH coils replaced?
Can you please explain the symptoms of the problem, not what the "race bike shop" says it's doing.
That will probably help. (y)
Your right I didn’t read everything he had posted because I am new to the forum so I am still trying to learn how to operate what is going on. Now that I read all of what he said it does sound about right. But just saying my original post was asking if anyone had a part for sale. Don’t get me wrong I appreciate what @Lesblank responded with but I didn’t try to get a diagnoses based on trusting what the performance shop said. Although I am glad I got the response from him now that I seen all the replies I overlooked to begin with. But yes the coils have definitely been replaced because I replaced them myself before I ever put it in a shop as a matter fact that is the very first thing I done. But to tell you what is going on with the bike I drive it home after purchasing about an hr drive.I went to go back out to go to the store a few hours later and the bike wouldn’t crank, thought it was weird so I charged the battery it fired right up and I headed down the road and when I reached around 35 45 mph it started to run like crap and started acting like it was going to die on me I gave it some more throttle and it cut out I tried cranking it back and nothing happened didn’t even act like it was gonna crank I cut it off I waited about 8 minutes finally it fired up agian I took on and agian same thing I couldn’t drive the bike anything over 35 or it would cut out. I am just getting into bikes so I done some research and decided to order some upgraded coils spark plugs oil change new battery same thing so I done more research and thought maybe it was the stator or rectifier bc similarities in the issue I found with others in line. So I order them both and I tried to replace myself but the rotor assembly was impossible for me to get off so I took it to the first shop I had a new fuel pump installed the stator replaced the rectifier, still same thing so then I had the carbs rejetted the spark plugs. Went got it from that shop had another guy look at it he said it’s the carbs he would recommend a local shop which is where it is now. I trust that they no what they are doing but I don’t trust that they have actually done the work that they claim because I was told at drop off they were two weeks out on getting to it. I said that’s fine told them what was going on they said they would check it out and give me a call in two weeks with a quote and diagnoses and see if I wanted to proceed and every since then it has been a bunch or ridiculous answers as to why they haven’t answered my calls or called back or what the world is taking so long or why they need to replace something that has already been replaced. I kno most would have went somwhere eles. But at this point like I said it’s been going on a year they had a five star rating and I figured if I could actually get them to keep there word or to actually show some concern and interest in fixing the bike that they have agreed to do then that would be my best choice at getting it running I have called a lot of shops trying to get them to take on the project because I don’t have the knowledge level I would feel comfortable to work on it I only been riding for a year. Anyway most shop said they were not interested in taking on the project weather due to to much work, not enough help, or not feeling comfortable with doing the work. It has been a nightmare trying to get this bike running every time a new problem or bump in the road comes along I keep telling myself your already this far in you mine as well get it running and the process so far has kept continuing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I did miss read your post. Bummer that cdi box is bad. There's plenty of motorcycle salvage yards that should be able to track one down. Wouldn't be new, but would get you back on the road. Still a little puzzled to why it took 5 months to diagnose. Or were you getting other things done?
I am new to this site and still trying to learn my way around I didn’t read your entire response but what you said actually makes since I do not know why it has took them 5 months either I have sent multiple emails expressing how I felt bc it has been a lot of bs in that five months I trust that they know what they are doing. But I do not trust that they have actually put the concern or time into my project as they claim bc when I finally do get someone on the phone there is some just off the wall excuse as to why they haven’t done what they said or why they haven’t gotten to something yet literally every time I call there an excuse or they are contradicting themselves. I was told when I dropped bike off that I would have a diagnoses and quote in two weeks I didn’t get them back on the phone for a month. I’m new to riding also so I don’t feel comfortable in working on it myself and so I been jerked around a lot but I have to much money invested to give up so I keep changing shops hoping one if I can get them to except taking the project which I have been turned down by multiple shops hoping that one takes it own and actually get it running

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They said they check coils and everything but now that I recall looking back they have contradicted theirselves a lot and don’t make a whole lot of since like them telling me it’s firing on 1 and 3 not 2&4 by ur reply that should not be the case if it is then they obviously haven’t checked coils because I would hope they would realize that they have been routing wrong. Or the fact yesterday I was told that my bike had been put on the dyno and it runs fine after 2500 rpms and that the bike could be road until I found a cdi box I said ok I’ll just come get the bike get me a total on what I owe and was told that they would call me back when I didn’t get the call back I called them and he said that he misunderstood his boss and said they he thought he told him my bike was put on the dyno but in fact it hasn’t been. How in the world did u get that it runs fine over 2500 rpms if it was never put on dyno I am going to the shop in person tomorrow bc I’m eagerly waiting and have been to ride that bike so if it’s a possibility to have it fixed by replacing the coils or something other than cdi box bc it is discontinued then I guess I’ll be back on the hunt for a shop to take on fixing the bike

·
65 Posts
Yes, in your first post you did ask if anyone had CDI for sale. Having been of forums for years @Warrior_Scott and myself have seen many people throw thousands on dollars replacing parts without ever getting their bike running. Testing the components and determining what part is bad and possibly why is the best course of action, that's why we both started with diagnostic posts. Unfortunately it appears some parts on your bike have been replaced and not solved the issue. We were just attempting to help from our first hand experiences.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, in your first post you did ask if anyone had CDI for sale. Having been of forums for years @Warrior_Scott and myself have seen many people throw thousands on dollars replacing parts without ever getting their bike running. Testing the components and determining what part is bad and possibly why is the best course of action, that's why we both started with diagnostic posts. Unfortunately it appears some parts on your bike have been replaced and not solved the issue. We were just attempting to help from our first hand experiences.
Yes I kno I was asking if someone had one for sale. He said I should try telling you the issue with what the bike is doing not with what the shop said. That’s why I said at first I wasn’t asking for a diagnoses which is why I did not include what was happening with the bike and only stated what the shop said. But once I was able to read the entire response that u gave and seeing his response I told him I was thankful for the information and that I would gladly add to the conversation what was going on with the bike and not what the shop said. I don’t think what I am saying is being understood at first I was just asking for a part that’s correct I wasn’t trying find out what it could be that’s why I stated what shop said once I read your response and was able to see the pictures and things you posted I realized it may not be what the shop is saying and shared my gratitude for the information in which I had received when I seen his message I was letting him know why I didn’t state what was happening with the bike but only what the shop said and informed him I would gladly give you more information

·
65 Posts
It appears, to me, you are getting slightly defensive about our responses, please don't. This thread as of now has been viewed 215 times so far. We totally understand you were just asking if anyone had a certain CDI. Our responses didn't include a parts source because we didn't have one. We extended our knowledge to possibly help you and others who might have a similar issue in the future with testing info to narrow down which part is actually bad. We are genuinely trying to assist. With all that said, you are working on a 21 year old bike and finding new OEM will be next to impossible. CDI units are updated almost yearly to assist in meeting emission changes by adjusting spark advance and dwell among other things. I did a quick Google on your part needed and came up with many used, working units. I've been working on older bikes for years and attempted to chase new OEM parts. Sometimes I lucked out, but most of the time a known working part was the only one available. Here's one sample I found:

Hard to read, but it's the same part number.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do apologize if that is how it seems maybe I am the one that is mistaken by the responses. It is easy sometimes to misunderstand or mis interpret what one is saying and I believe that is the case here I am greatful for all the feedback and I also appreciate everyone’s time in viewing the post. I didn’t mean to seem defensive nor did I mean to seem I grateful for the feed back. Thanks agian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts