2014 vstar 950, 0 miles - Yamaha Forums
Welcome to the unofficial Yamaha Forums community! Please Register to gain full access and remove the Ads! it's FREE!    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Adam Fox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-18-2020, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

2014 vstar 950, 0 miles

So I purchased this motorcycle from Sehorn Yamaha in Shawnee Oklahoma in March of this year. I was told by the salesman that since I'm the first owner it will still have its original warranty! Super excited, first bike and all.
Well a few months later and a move I'm in Florida and just about to roll over 400 miles and the bike starts stuttering and bogging down under throttle, I can hear a loud whine from the gas tank.
I hobble to a shop and the mechanic tells me it's the fuel pump going out but suggests I take it to the Yamaha dealer 40 miles away to get free warranty work.
So I call the Yamaha dealer and they inform me that the warranty was ran out by the other dealer and they would be happy to fix it for money.
I call the dealer in Oklahoma and they deny ever saying that, say they can't help me because I wasn't in the state and good luck.
I just have the shop I made it to fix it only to find out that there is some fishy stuff going on inside the tank, tons of dirt and debris, two breaks in the fuel pump wires and some weird piece of green foam used as a fuel filter.
He documents everything and gives me pictures/old parts, charges me for the part and labor and I'm on my way.
So long story short, is there any way to hold the dealer accountable or at least have Yamaha pay for this repair seeing as it was apparently assembled that way?
Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-18-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Fox View Post
So I purchased this motorcycle from Sehorn Yamaha in Shawnee Oklahoma in March of this year. I was told by the salesman that since I'm the first owner it will still have its original warranty! Super excited, first bike and all.
Well a few months later and a move I'm in Florida and just about to roll over 400 miles and the bike starts stuttering and bogging down under throttle, I can hear a loud whine from the gas tank.
I hobble to a shop and the mechanic tells me it's the fuel pump going out but suggests I take it to the Yamaha dealer 40 miles away to get free warranty work.
So I call the Yamaha dealer and they inform me that the warranty was ran out by the other dealer and they would be happy to fix it for money.
I call the dealer in Oklahoma and they deny ever saying that, say they can't help me because I wasn't in the state and good luck.
I just have the shop I made it to fix it only to find out that there is some fishy stuff going on inside the tank, tons of dirt and debris, two breaks in the fuel pump wires and some weird piece of green foam used as a fuel filter.
He documents everything and gives me pictures/old parts, charges me for the part and labor and I'm on my way.
So long story short, is there any way to hold the dealer accountable or at least have Yamaha pay for this repair seeing as it was apparently assembled that way?
Thanks for reading!
You are probably screwed if you didn't get anything in writing. It would be nice to let Yamaha know about this if you can find the right people/department to tell. I'm guessing they would have some sort of customer satisfaction phone or email....Also let the public know about these crooks on sites like this.

First owner huh? Doesn't seem possible on a 6 year old bike does it? Is there such a thing as carfax for motorcycles I wonder. Maybe the owner of the dealership owned the bike so you kind of were the first owner, but not really. Not that it matters.

I hope you got a good deal, like you would get on a used Vstar.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-18-2020, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, yeah it's kind of what I figured. I'll try to find a Yamaha email or 800 number to talk to. Fortunately the repair wasn't too steep, just a bummer to find out!
Warrior_Scott likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement