vstar 1100 gas leaking from carb - Yamaha Forums
Welcome to the unofficial Yamaha Forums community! Please Register to gain full access and remove the Ads! it's FREE!    

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-06-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

vstar 1100 gas leaking from carb

when we turn the key to the on position gas starts to come out from the overflow hose. the bike will not stay running, not sure of the cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 06:35 AM

I have a vstar650 that had a similar problem. My bike sat for some time without being ridden. When I tried starting it up, it wouldn't start and gas poured out the carb overflow hose. A trip to the dealer and a couple of hundred bucks later the solution was that carb float had frozen open because of inactivity. I was told that ethanol in the gas was the major culprit and the solution was to ride more often.
Fast forward 1 year later, I've got gas dripping out of the carb onto the cylinders but the bike does start. Riding more often and using Sta-bil fuel additive didn't seem to help and I'm about to try and get the bike back to the shop again.
Anyone know what's going on with our bikes?
post #3 of 6 Old 07-06-2012, 06:36 AM

Location: currently On furlough in the US. We will be all over the States
the float valves and needles need to be replaced once that happens. I had the same thing happen to my bike. once I replaced the float needle valve and needle no problem. It is a easy fix you can do it yourself and save a few bucks. No real special tools needed. don't mess with the float tabs they are probably set ok.

Check over at Yamaha Club there may be a manual there you can download and can guide you to removing carbs and the float assembly.

Live, Love and Ride Yamaha

post #4 of 6 Old 07-06-2012, 06:36 AM

the float valves and needles need to be replaced once that happens. I had the same thing happen to my bike. once I replaced the float needle valve and needle no problem. It is a easy fix you can do it yourself and save a few bucks. No real special tools needed. don't mess with the float tabs they are probably set ok.

Check over at Yamaha Club there may be a manual there you can download and can guide you to removing carbs and the float assembly.

Live, Love and Ride Yamaha
post #5 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 09:30 AM

I also have a vstar 1100. I notice the smell of fuel when the bike is parked in my garage. I dont see any gas leaking and the bike runs fine. Trying to figure it out.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-19-2012, 04:57 AM

it is the ethanol based fuel you bike is not meant to run on your carbs gaskets and rubbers are all being ruined by ethanol

Read the Dangers of Ethanol

https://yamahaforum.com/forums/blogs/...anol-fuel.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement