SR125 cylinder and piston. - Yamaha Forums
Welcome to the unofficial Yamaha Forums community! Please Register to gain full access and remove the Ads! it's FREE!    

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-25-2020, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

SR125 cylinder and piston.

Hi, anyone know where I can get a replacement cylinder and piston for my sr125.

This is my first engine rebuild I brought a bike where the timing chain had come off I've replaced the valves and rebuild the engine (no damage to the piston). When I done a compression test on the bench it was showing 75 and not the recomend 114+ I put a bit of oil in the chamber and done the compression test again and it shows 125 which means it's the barrel and rings, correct?

There wasnt any oil in the engine when I turned her over will that change the amount of compression ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-25-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Wardrop View Post
Hi, anyone know where I can get a replacement cylinder and piston for my sr125.

This is my first engine rebuild I brought a bike where the timing chain had come off I've replaced the valves and rebuild the engine (no damage to the piston). When I done a compression test on the bench it was showing 75 and not the recomend 114+ I put a bit of oil in the chamber and done the compression test again and it shows 125 which means it's the barrel and rings, correct?

There wasnt any oil in the engine when I turned her over will that change the amount of compression ?
I think I would crank it quite a bit with oil in it, or start it if you can then check the compression again.

But yes, sounds like rings. Seems the piston for that bike is impossible to find in the USA but you can get the rings from the UK for about $50 shipped on Ebay.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-26-2020, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

I think I would crank it quite a bit with oil in it, or start it if you can then check the compression again.

But yes, sounds like rings. Seems the piston for that bike is impossible to find in the USA but you can get the rings from the UK for about $50 shipped on Ebay.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna give it a try today with the oil today and see if the compression changes.

I'm actually in the uk so that's not to bad. With the rings how do I know if I need +1 or more rings and how would I know if I need the barrel honing?

post #4 of 4 Old 10-26-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Wardrop View Post

But yes, sounds like rings. Seems the piston for that bike is impossible to find in the USA but you can get the rings from the UK for about $50 shipped on Ebay.
I'm gonna give it a try today with the oil today and see if the compression changes.

I'm actually in the uk so that's not to bad. With the rings how do I know if I need +1 or more rings and how would I know if I need the barrel honing?[/QUOTE]

You should hone the bore with new rings. You can buy a cheap one for a drill. Youtube on how to do it, it's easy.
You would buy rings as a set, so you will get them all.
As long as there aren't any big scratches ect in the bore you should be good to go, you said the piston looks good so I bet you are ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement